ICANN/DNSO
DNSO Mailling lists archives

[nc-idn]

[nc-idn] Re: [council] Draft Names Council motion on IDN

(bis: sorry for typo in To: line)

Milton,

First, in the gTLD contracts with ICANN it is
explicated that introduction of NEW SERVICES need explicit
consent of ICANN, therefore ICANN have authority on
International Domain Names services.

Second, a distinction should be possible between domain
resolution services for ASCII names in the DNS and testbed
transliterations of iDNS into ASCII characters. At this time
when User confidence in the Domain Name System is the
focus of so attention, allowing names that do not have full
functionality (don't work !) is inappropriate at this time.
It is our Domain Names SO duty to sustain and maintain
consumer confidence in the whole gTLD space.
The success of new gTLD relies upon consumer confidence.

Third, VeriSign is a sole source "monopoly" supplier,
consequently the competition argument is inappropriate.
Until such time as the standard is developed the competition
at the application level will not occur as proprietarily
solutions will fragment the Internet.

Elisabeth