Re: [wg-c] .com vs. ccTLDs in Europe

Well, I can see why the 1994 policy decision benefited registrars, but if
it doesn't use up your two posts, I would be interested in hearing your
rationale why it served the "greatest common good."  I don't think that it
is self-evident that the registration of a .com name in and of itself
serves the "greatest common good."   It seems that the creation of the most
self-evidently worthwhile resources on the Internet (usenet, ftp, various
resources in .edu, search engines, AOL, Geocities, e-commerce sites such as
eBay and Amazon, free email and the Bill Gates wealth clock) would be
pretty much the same under either regimes while one phenomena which is a
definite dead weight loss (cyber-piracy) and another phenomena of little
added economic value (name speculation) would barely exist under a TLD that
had a modicum of restrictions.

That's my two posts for the day.  Speak to you tomorrow.