Re: [wg-c] my position paper v. 1.1

Jonathan,

As others have noted, I too find your position paper an excellent effort at
thorough consideration.

There is one, key weakness to it that prevents my adding my name to the
growing list:

At 07:25 PM 10/16/1999 , Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
>         For-profit registries have a different set of advantages.  Most
>importantly, the registry's interest in making more money will lead it to
>be more energetic in seeking to heighten efficiency, lower prices and
>provide additional value-added services.  Similarly, a for-profit registry

While the rest of the paper balances issues carefully, on this point you
make an eyes-closed, idealistic assertion that is demonstrably false.

A company (commercial or non-commercial) that feels its revenue stream is
protected will not automatically be inclined to improve its services.  In
general that motivation comes only from fear, such as fear of competition.

Competitive forces do not apply to the renewal portion of a registry's
business and there are no other sources of pressure suggested.  Hence you
rely entirely on the need for a growing market with new registration,
ignoring both the problem that occurs in the (eventual) absence of that
strong growth and the potential that a registry will "game" the difference
between new and existing registrants.

Although it might, eventually, be possible to find a way to permit
for-profit registries, the track record with NSI shows clearly that we do
not know how, yet.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>