Re: [wg-c] Short Position Paper

Hi Kent,

So you forsee us going through the same long painful process we just
went through with NSI as soon as we have another large registry --
without the factor of having the USG involved?

ICANN is not a privatized version of a government
regulatory body with the authority to pre-ordain
markets and regulate the conduct of those participating
in them.

What you are proposing is indeed far further than any
contemporary government regulatory body would do - even
in a traditionally highly regulated field.

ICANN's only legitimate role is a very narrow, technical
administrative one of establishing some consensual
agreements regarding technical requirements for market
entry.

I think you have it backwards, Tony -- *not* doing it would be bad
for ICANN's health - .  What you call a "fixed far-reaching, obligatory
model" I would call "a level playing field".

The issue is not what you and I want.  It is what
is within the scope of permissible lawful action
by an ICANN like organization, and what will pass
muster before a competent judicial body.  It is
not the business of ICANN to play a monopoly role
in managing competition within an unregulated
private enhanced services provisioning sector.

If ICANN does this, its existence will be short-lived
under our existing system of law.

--tony