[wg-c] Re:

At 03:47 PM 8/30/99 , Mikki Barry wrote:
>dcrocker said:
>>Not as an absolute.
>Very little, in my experience, is an absolute.  Including, for example,
>the need for hierarchial models of distribution.

You are welcome to design an alternative to the current DNS and to seek
adoption of it as a replacement.

Until then, the DNS is what it is and one of the things the DNS is is
hierarchical, with a single authority per node, including the root.

>>We do not have competitive currencies or armies, for example, and we
>>don't have competitive sewer systems.
>If the Internet is truly a worldwide commodity, and we are looking at the
>world, then there are indeed competitive currencies, armies, and in many
>cases even sewer systems.   Unless you want to consider my septic system a
>monopoly :-)

Given that perspective, please try to use dollars in Switzerland and francs
in Mexico.

Better still, please use some protocol other than IP over the Internet.  I
suspect your throughput will be limited.

>>Again, if you have an indication that the Commerce Department is seeking
>>competition among different DNS roots, please point to it.
>The Commerce Dept is seeking "competition."  They have never stated
>whether that competition was limited to gTLDs.

Commerce also sought to hand control over to a single organization and not
to many.

That is explicit indication that they understand not everything is subject
to competition.

>I have seen lots of information and computer sciences in my time, even
>though I will be the first to admit that this isn't my strongest
>field.  In all that I have seen, there is no technical reason for a
>hierarchial technology, especially in the face of possible damage.

When we have the detailed designs for a candidate replacement system, we
can compare the trade-offs.

d/
d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>