RE: [wg-c] capital idea

> At 11:34 PM 8/22/99 , Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
> > > Behalf Of Dave Crocker, Sent: Sunday, August 22, 1999 10:00 PM
> > > ...advertisers.  A registry locks in its end-users.
> > >
> > > Hence the systemic leverage is quite different.
> >
> >... and the relevance of this point? Renaming is simply a matter of
> >changing the DNS master file and some parameter changes on
> the servers.
>
> Given how many times the difficulties surrounding renaming have been
> discussed in the last two years, I'm surprised they are being missed
> here.  As I noted in another message, tell Amazon.com or
> Microsoft that
> nit's trivial for them to change their domain name...

How does Amazon.VPN sound? If the VPN is a trademarked and chartered TLD
then Amazon, which is trademarked, could move anywhere it wants.
However, this does weaken the argument that Amazon.COM, and Amazon.VPN
is different from Amazon.NET. This is a not so minor problem that
depends on the TLD charter being defensible. More likely, Amazon would
create .BOOKS for their book-selling business. and license SLDs out to
other book-sellers. MS would probably create .WIN and someone, in the
Linux community, would create .LINUX, maybe Linus himself?.