RE: Re[2]: [wg-c] is this really the work we have before us?

John,
Your argument flies in the face of reason and is definitely not
supported in existing US trademark law. In case you haven't noticed,
ICANN is subject to US law, first and foremost, because it exists on US
soil and under US corporate law.

A trademark can certainly be used for a chartered TLD. Moreover, there
is no way a TM holder would sign such a contract (that can force a US
trademark holder to relinquish their IP rights), because it would
supercede the US PTO. That organization is the final authority,
certainly, not a non-profit, private, California corporation. Those IP
rights are issued by a government and supported by the courts, as well
as, international treaties. Simply signing such an agreement can cost
the trademark holder their IP rights (US requirement to defend the TLD).
They wont do it. They woud rather use a root-registry that didn't
require such an onerous clause.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, CEO
Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
http://www.mhsc.com/
mailto://rmeyer@mhsc.com
[Note: I am NOT a Lawyer (IANAL) my legal opinion has NO STANDING in
court, as I am NOT an officer of the court. No statement made herein
constitutes legal advice under ANY circumstances. The reader is directed
to seek the advice of competent legal council in all matters of law.]