Re[2]: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & call for votes on remaining questions

Thursday, August 19, 1999, 12:26:30 PM, Keith Gymer <keith.gymer@btinternet.com> wrote:

> For the reasons given in my previous email on the original straw vote
> reminder, I do not believe that the number of votes cast can possibly be
> used to draw the conclusions about consensus which Jonathan is attempting.

> At most, subject to confirmation of the constituency with which each voter
> is asssociated, then the number of votes broken down by constituency may
> provide an indication of which options are most likely favoured by the
> constituencies so represented.  That might be useful nonetheless.
> I haven't gone back to check the votes and best-guess the constituency
> association of each voter but I wouldn't be surprised to find, for example,
> that IP and Business reps will have voted for option 1, and would-be
> registry operators and the libertarian tendency for option 2.

What about this who fit into constituencies that are not recognized,
or do not yet fit into ANY constituency?

This constituency model is most flawed, and does not represent the
broad and diverse base from which the stakeholder community comes, and
would be the most flawed approach yet to use the constituencies as a
gauge of consensus.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org