Re: [wg-c] straw poll -- reminder

I too have been away on an internet-free holiday and have just returned to
699 emails, not all of which I can claim to have read.

However, would share the reservations which appear to have been expressed by
others about whether a vote like this has any real benefit - I certainly
feel it is unwise to try to draw conclusions as to the existence or not of
any consensus (as Jonathan appears to be attempting) of the proportionate
interests of the various stakeholder groups.  That is what the NC is
supposed to do- and ultimately NC votes will determine that "consensus".

To my knowledge, the participants from the various interest groups
represented in wg-c have not been validated to be proportionate in number to
the NC constituencies with which they are most likely associated.  Indeed I
would venture that there is a disproportionate number of would-be gTLD
registries represented on this list for a start, and I'm sure others would
claim there is an XS of TM reps ;-)  So whilst votes cast may be indicative
of the views of the respective constituencies represented by those voting, a
simple tally of the number of votes is meaningless in the absence of some
weighting by associated constituency for all the voters.

For the record, I would agree with John Lewis' comments below and would have
voted for option 1- however, as John rightly observes, this begs the
question (which I think should be first addressed, and which might then
change peoples' minds about which option is most desirable or practicable)
of whether a rational structure for adding gTLDs should be developed first
(I would say yes) with or without the option of "irrational" ;-)
(unstructured) gTLDs as well (which I would not necessarily exclude).
Keith