Re: [wg-c] GTLD Straw poll

At 08:24 AM 8/18/99 , Kevin J. Connolly wrote:
>Finally, the concept of converting a generic TLD into a private brand is
>anathema to the concept of holding the TLD namespace as a public trust.

Ah, I see we don't have agreement on that point.

I hold that it is not a public resource or a public
trust, but just private brand names, and that the
latter view will ultimately not prevail in our public
policy and legal systems.

I realize that you and some others hold the public
resource/trust view.  For some, it appears to be
an orthodox religious tenet, where no apostasy is
allowed.

The issue before us is whether we can accommodate
eachother's views.  I believe that can be easily
done.  What do you think?

--tony