Re[2]: [wg-c] Straw Vote

Monday, August 16, 1999, 11:14:42 AM, Rita M. Odin <OdinR@arentfox.com> wrote:

> I vote for option 1 - with the ever present caveat that no action
> should be taken to add gTLDs until the following have been put into
> place:

> (1) a universal, reliable and searchable database of contact
> information for all domain name registrants;

Whois can accomodate this easily.  And one can easily setup a "proxy"
whois server that would then forward the request to the proper whois
server.

> (2) a workable uniform dispute resolution procedure;

Registry will honor all rulings from courts of competent jurisdiction
over the Registry or the Registrant, or a panel of arbitration as
agreed upon by both parties.

> (3) a famous name policy.

That, as in all areas of commerce, trademark holders (including famous
names) are required to actively police their marks.  There are fair
uses of famous marks, in parody, satire, consumer protection
information, non-commercial criticism, and numerous other areas as
backed up by court decisions.  Some extra legal protection above and
beyond what the law already gives trademark holders would violate the
rights of others who would use those names in a legal form as
specified above.

If they want additional uniform protection, take it up with Congress.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org