Re: [wg-c] Eureka?

>> Either it is the community who decides for the good of itself or, in your
>> plan, an individual or organization for its own benefit...
>
>Or, perhaps an individual or organization for the benefit of the community.

As long as the proper checks are in place, the first and last proposals are
almost equal. The idea that an individual or organization should manage any
portion of TLDspace for it's own benefit is both dangerous and stupid.

>> What is is best for the Internet Community?  Having the power to decide
or
>> giving this power away to somebody else whose interests are different
than
>> those of the community itself (making money for himself)?.
>
>You presume that there is no altruism left in commerce. This is not true.

While it may not be true in all cases, it remains a wise presumption.
History is filled with examples of private interests working in their own
interests to the detriment of the larger community.

>> In no case the choice of gTLDs should command a specific registry to run
>> it. The Internet should have the best gTLDs run by the best registry
>> operators. Bundling them together probably means acquiring compromises
>that
>> are not in the best interest of the Internet.
>>
>> They must be kept separate.
>
>They must not. They MAY, but they must not.

From my standpoint, this is a non-negotiable point. This leads to TLD
ownership which is extremely dangerous. Companies go out of business and
lose interest in certain aspects of their operation - the Internet cannot
allow this to happen to TLDs.

>> We are not in an open market with illimited resources, to which open
>market
>> standards apply and that might develop itself through offer and demand.
We
>> are talking about managment of scarce resorces.
>
>WRONG! There is no scarcity! The combination of letters and numbers that
>make up domain names is functionally infinite. This is a premise that is
>CREATED to bolster your argument. Nothing more.

The number of SLD.TLD pairs is almost certainly infinite, but there is
undeniable scarcity within a TLD.

-RWR