Re: [wg-c] Deadlines

Javier SOLA wrote:

> At this point we are just starting the real discussion, and we should give
> this at least a couple of weeks before we start drafting,

At least.

> and then at least
> another couple of weeks for drafting and figuring out consensus on the
> reports.

This is probably not realistic. Drafting, circulation, amendment,
re-circulation and comment will take more than two weeks, on a topic as complex
as this. Furthermore, you may as well eliminate the week of August 24, when the
Santiago meeting takes place. Furthermore, votes may be required. As we saw in
the last vote, any vote has a cycle time of at least a week.A fair procedure
will allow issues to be segmented for separate votes.

We will need all of September, and probably all of October as well. Even so, to
produce consensus reports on an issue such as new TLDs in only 4 months
(July-Nov), which has divided people for four years, would be a substantial
achievment. No one could accuse us of being slow.

Furthermore, ICANN itself will not be able or permitted to make any decisive
ruling on this until November at the earliest. The requirement to get its Board
and representative structures in place has substantial support. Not to mention
the Dept of Commerce NTIA warnings.

So there is no reason to aim for completion before November anyway.