RE: [wg-b] Reality checks [the grateful dead(hits)]

I don't believe that a rule that excludes all use of a famous mark from a
domain name other than one owned by the famous mark holder is not workable.
Such a rule would exclude too many domain names that raise, I believe,
legitimate free speech issues; and, in any event, is not a position that
could command political force, whatever its merits. An ICANN rule that
allows john doe to register johndoe-porche-repairs.com does not mean that
such a domain name is not a trademark violation, and it should not prejudice
Porche's right to sue john doe for a trademark violation and prove its case.

Steve Hartman
Nabisco, Inc.