Re: .NU Domain Has a Governance Model

It is not at all clear to me that what is good for Niue is good for
all gTLDs.

I believe that the gTLD industry is a very different beast from the
ccTLD industry and as such needs to be allowed to develop its own
appropriate business models.

In short, I do not see this as a Goverance Issue aws much as that of a
Business Model Issue.

And, I am reminded agbain to be careful about the "Linus Pauling
Syndrome" where in a very famous man won two Nobel prizes in different
fields of science, and then applied his reputation vigorously in a
third field (health) where he had no expertise.

Remember his Vitimin C advocacy, which has been totally discredited.

So, lets take care in applying analogies without due care.

I do not believe we have seen a serious exploration of alternative
business models for TLD registries, icluding both ccTLDs and gTLDs.
And so it is very premature to settle on one scheme for all at this
point.

I do however find that the Niue model is indeed very interesting and
shows a clearly enlightened approach to involving all the relevant
parties in the administration of policy.

Cheers...\Stef

>From your message Wed, 3 Feb 1999 12:51:07 EDT:
}
}Hello Michael;
}
}
}
}>I think the DNSO and ICANN would be very well advised to do
}>exactly what Bill Semich suggests, as an immediate and practical
}>work to be organized and accomplished: study this and other
}>well-functioning models, codify them as a set of principles and
}>practical implementations, including channels of communication
}>between governments, educational institutions, commercial
}>organizations, etc., and put into the DNSO and ICANN bylaws
}>working mechanisms for establishing cooperative, private
}>administration of the ccTLDs.
}
}Actually, and most appropriately, it is my belief that this should be
}the model for building a future governance system for *gTLDs*.
}
}It happens that ccTLDs are already running under it (RFC 1591), which is
}the point of my press release.
}
}There need to be some governing principls for the gTLD registries of the
}future....I suggest they start with RFC 1591
}
}Regards,
}
}Bill Semich (NIC JWS7)