[comments] Re: [dnsproc-en] Internet Governance

Mikki, Marcel and all,

Mikki Barry wrote:

> At 8:55 AM -0400 6/9/99, Marcel Schneider wrote:
> >People in the US have not (yet) been able to experience
> >this fact because for them only COM exists. But this
> >is no longer the fact in _some_ ccTLD's. Look at DE:
> >with 400k names and UK with 300k names and I can
> >confirm this fact for our small country with 7M
> >citicens and 125k names. The ccTLD plays an important
> >role in these cases. Many people that are new to the
> >Internet learn here in Switzerland that most resources
> >can be found under CH and use this TLD as first
> >choice.
>
> That is an excellent point.  the .us domain is largely unuseable.  I wonder
> how many users (especially non commercial users) would have used the .us
> domain if it wasn't tied to home city, county, and state (making it
> completely non portable).

  Yes indeed, you and Marcel make a very good point here.  Jon Postel's
"Stewardship" of the .US ccTLD was primarily responsible for this
mistake to be sure, and it did essentially make .US "Non-portable", or
practically useless as a globally commercially usable TLD...

  Jon should have stuck to editing RFC's...  He was real good at that.

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com