ICANN/DNSO
DNSO Mailling lists archives

[nc-idn]

RE: [nc-idn] Re: Understanding consequences of possible IDN

Danny you raise an important issue here - re the inability of the currently
accredited ICANN registrars of gTLD to service non English speaking
registrants (and I should note that I am taking you assessment on face value
as I have no evidence either way).  If this is the case then that
demonstrates a weakness in the accreditation process.

However, I don't progress from such an assessment to the conclusion that you
do - that therefore gTLDs should not be open to non-English registrants,
that gTLD registrants should not be able to be serviced in a variety of
languages beyond English - including legal contracts - nor should gTLDs not
be (eventually) users of an agreed IDNS system - if this is what you are
suggesting.

gTLDs should be just that - global - and not just the domain for English
speakers.

Perhaps some of the gTLD registration fees should be used to generate
multilingual legal contracts and non-legal explanations of the registration
process? Such resources would then facilitate gTLD registrars in offering
multilingual service.

Normally market forces would identify any unmet demand and a supplier would
create a service to fulfil that demand. If that is not the case here (and
again I profess my reliance on your assessment), my concern is whether this
is a bit of "chicken and egg" problem (ie. language difficulty inhibits
non-English registrants, hence deters demand, hence dampens any market
signals, hence suppliers don't take the risk to respond) and thus in need of
pre-emptive support and initiative.

I wonder what others think.

Grant Forsyth
Manager Industry & Regulatory Affairs