ICANN/DNSO
DNSO Mailling lists archives

[ga-nominations]

[ga-nominations] acceptance

1a. Full name of the nominee: Dan Steinberg

1b. E-mail address of the nominee: synthesis@videotron.ca

1c. Background information about the nominee:
Biographical Information can be found at
http://www.open-rsc.org/about/who.
I was involved in the early debate on the inclusion of TM rights in the
evolving DNS. My view has always been that TM rights had an inordinate
amount of influence on the debate relative to their importance in the
real world.  I have debated the issue with the intellectual property bar
at numerous conferences worldwide as well as on IP-related discussion
lists.

1d. Statement of the nominee's objectives in the role as GA delegate to
the NC UDRP TF:
It is my opinion that after all these years, there are still many that
insist on seeing the net as creating new problems rather than viewing
the new opportunities.  I was on-record as being against the whole
concept of a UDRP in the first place.  I felt at the time (and I still
feel) that this is an area allready well-served by existing law.Just so
everyone knows where I stand, I have seen nothing in the early days of
the UDRP that would make me change my opinion.  As it appears unlikely
that the UDRP will be eliminated, I see myself as an advocate for
restraint, specifically:
*elimination of scope creep in the defininition of cases that are
applicable. For example, if implied or common law tradmarks are to be
accepted as the basis for a complaint it should be explicitly stated,
along with detailed description of just what is the required standard to
attain such a status.
* establish bottom-up consensus on what is actually required in the form
of UDRP or other remedies. I take the position from the start that any
remedies as extraordinary as this must be applied very restrictively.
It is a fairly common legal principle that you apply extreme measures
extremely carefully and with serious attention to the potential for
abuse.

--
Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology