ICANN/DNSO
DNSO Mailling lists archives

[ga-nominations]

[ga-nominations] Nomination as GA delegate for UDRP TF

Statement of Acceptance:
1a. Full name of the nominee: Rod Dixon
1b. E-mail address of the nominee: rod@cyberspaces.org
1c. Background information about the nominee: I am an attorney and law
professor. I teach and write in the areas of Cyberlaw, intellectual
property, privacy, and employment law.  With regard to dispute resolution, I
am a trained mediator for the federal government, and have taught dispute
resolution.
1d. Statement of the nominee's objectives in the role as GA delegate to the
NC UDRP TF: I accept my nomination as a candidate to represent the GA to the
Names Council UDRP Task Force.  According to the Terms of Reference (ToR)
established by the NC’s UDRP Interim Committee, the task force is expected
to draft a survey, collect responses, and issue a summary report based upon
the survey responses and a couple of university studies.  I am unsure why
the ToR is defined so precisely.  I do not think the Interim Committee
intended to set the consensus-building goals of the task force to
data-collection.  If the goal of the task force is to broadly consider and
identify potential areas of reform for the UDRP, then I am confident that I
will loyally represent the GA toward that end.

Many of my views on the UDRP are publicly available, and I think most will
find that they faithfully represent the views of many in the GA.   From my
perspective, the protection of free expression is enormously important in
Cyberspace, and the UDRP ought to be revised to reflect this enormity.  My
specific reform proposals and critical assessments of the UDRP are contained
in some of the articles linked below.

Relevant links
Is There A Lesson For ICANN From The Presidential Election, Internet.com -
Domain Notes.com (Jan. 2001).
Domain Name Theft: When Someone Steals Sex, You Can Get It Back If It's In
Cyberspace, Internet.com - Domain Notes.com (Dec. 2000).
Before The Law: ICANN Is The Gatekeeper Of Cyberspace, Internet.com - Domain
Notes.com (Nov. 2000).
Common Names And Common Sense: Why Celebrity Names Should Not Be Subject To
The UDRP, Internet.com - Domain Notes.com (Oct. 2000).
The Arbitral Forum: Why ICANN'S Uniform Dispute Resolution Process Must
Undergo Reform, Internet.com - Domain Notes.com (Oct. 2000).
Wipo-2   (http://www.cyberspaces.org/wipo2response.html)

Rod Dixon
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law
Rutgers University Law School - Camden